I’m sorry to have to forward you this kind of mail but I do it.
I will not send other emails on the topics.

Stef

Dear community

On the smalltalk-gsoc-ment...@googlegroups.com janko is kind of declaring that
ESUG was not doing a good job managing
GSOC. We feel insulted and we are quite concerned by that fact. Personally if
students would not be involved I would vote that ESUG does not have anything to
do with GSOC. Because it costs us money, time and stress. Note in addition that
we never interferred with the choice or anything.

I will ask the ESUG board to decide because we cannot do the job, spend time,
money and be treated like that.
Sorry! We are sad but this is like that.

Then we do not like the kind of mails that Janko is sending us about the fact
that ESUG is biased towards Pharo.
Where are the research teams and teachers?  Of course: the mails of janko are
just so nice. I let you judge.

It is particularly fun since this year we (the pharo board) decided not to
organise a Pharo conference to avoid competing with ESUG.

> About motivations for my proposal:
>
> 1. 'Smalltalk' is more recognizable name on first spot that 'ESUG' . And this
> matters when a student looks at around 150 GSoC organizations to choose,
> which one to check and try. See last year list of orgs.
>
> 2. ESUG is currently regarded by many as too biased towards Pharo. Let we
> avoid starting debating is this is true or not. Making our org more
> independent will I hope remove any remaining doubt about that.

I feel shocked and insulted but I take it easy, having success make you as easy
target for jaleous people. This is strange that
some people would prefer to have a non existing/moving open-source smalltalk.
May be the losers theory.

I added the answer of marcus below (because marcus usually is much calmer than
me) so that Janko succeeded to get marcus reacting like that is a nice proof in
itself.

Seriously Smalltalk is in a so good shape in presence of lua, Javascript, ruby
and python, clojure that we should fight.

Excellent idea thank for this nice initiative.

Stef

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Janko Mivšek <janko.miv...@gmail.com>
> Subject: [gsoc-mentors] Running under 'Smalltalk' org. name
> Date: 8 Feb 2014 08:46:18 GMT+1
> To: smalltalk-gsoc-ment...@googlegroups.com
>
> Dear mentors,
>
> I propose that we run this year GSoC simply under 'Smalltalk' name. Mentoring
> organization will be us mentors of past and current GSoCs, as the name
> 'mentoring organization' implies anyway. Such organization therefore doesn't
> need to be some kind of legal entity.
>
> Because I need to open a new website and we have only one week to deadline,
> decision needs to be done soon.
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> ---
> Janko Mivšek
> Smalltalk GSoC Admin Team

Of course you need it: I filled out quite some paperwork for Google. ESUG is an
official Google supplier, for that I filled american tax forms and so on.

Without an organisation that will be very difficult. How do yu receive money
for the flight if someone goes to the meeting in the fall?

One of the reasons why the Smalltalk GSOC was accepted was I think that it was
the same organisation that is already in the books of google.

And I do not see why to change that: ESUG did a good job, we even lost money
(that is, we spend more money on additional Summer of Code slots
than got in with the money from google).
We payed all additional expenses of the people going to the Summit: Google only
pays the flight and hotel. Everyhting else not (e.g. going from the airpot
to the hotel).

What we need to discuss this year is if additional slots make sense: We had
last year the fast that
        a) it was very expensive for ESUG
        b) even then, we got complaints that it was unfair that we did not pay
the same as google
        c) that it was very extremely unfair that the student could not put
“Google Summer of Code” on the CV.

The last is the Killer: money from ESUG is just money. GSoC is more. So we ask
if it is really worth to spend the money
if even the students are not happy about it.

And if your motivation behind is that this way you think it will be easier to
enable “Quotas” for different Smalltalks:  I think this is a dumb idea.

Yes, Pharo is very active. So could every other Smalltalk be, too. They just
need to do it. If they do not, it is not my duty to limit
my activity for “Fairness”. Limiting the activity level of those who do to be
more “in line” with what those do who do nothing is just
*insane*. It’s a description of death itself.

        Marcus