When I first met Smalltalk, I found its syntax to be so disruptive to
my mindset that made me want to learn it (I was coding Perl at that
time). But not everybody feels the same. To some it is scary. Or
unintelligible.

It is true that many C like languages have hundreds of constructs, but
it is also true that almost all the programmers know how to code in
one of them, so then the knowledge mapping kicks in and those hundred
of constructs reduce to a bunch of differences (something our brain is
prepared to do very well).

In the past one motto for smalltalk was "talk small, and carry a big
class library". Nowadays class library is the king, and we like or
not, we smalltalkers just talk small. Though, I would not change
Smalltalk's syntax for anything else.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo