Testing has become more necessary in the context of Continuous
Integration and automated building. You can't have those without test
coverage.

On the other hand, TDD is rather difficult with tools that doesn't
allow you to develop inside the debugger, which is basically
everything out there that is not Smalltalk. It's no surprise TDD was
born in Smalltalk.

I don't agree with the notion of testing the full system, including
DBs, I/O, etc.  I'd also mock as few as possible.
Constraining yourself to test without external dependencies and
without mocking (as far as possible) helps you build loosely coupled
systems, with a lot of interchangeable parts
(pluggables/strategies/etc.).

Though as David says, testing is not a religion nor a dogma, and
sometime you include a separate set of tests to test the WHOLE layers
of your system. But those tests are run separately.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo