Yes I am using MacTex too, it works like a charm. I compile the pdf always
before committing to Github to make sure I am not braking enough. I also
installed Texmaker which is an even better editor for Tex files and
compiling to pdf.

http://www.xm1math.net/texmaker/

Though so far emacs with pillar mode and compile.sh is more than enough for
my needs. Textmate also is good enough.