Am 12.05.2014 um 10:46 schrieb Sabine Knöfel <sabine.knoe...@gmail.com>:

> Hi Norbert,
>
> what about objects which have been written to mongo with the old version and
> will be read with the new version. Can they be read/found with the new
> version? Or is there a migration needed?

I’d say it should be safe just to upgrade the code. The exisiting ids won’t
change because encoding and decoding are always fully reversible. Meaning
regardless of the encoding scheme the ids are the same in the database after
being read and written. The only thing changes is the value in the OID object
in your image. There are two ways where this can fail. Either you monkey with
id values inside your code. Or you use manual references to objects where the
referenced id is not written as OID. Everything else should be the same with
the old and the new code.
In the meantime I even changed the generation of the id value to reflect the
mongo spec. Now the values should be comparable to what other drivers
(including mongo shell) are generating. This also means you can now ask your
ObjectId about its timestamp. Which of course gives you non-sense with ids
generated prior to the code update..

Norbert