AFAIK Pharo technically is not even compatible with Squeak which is where
it forks form.

You assume the code you write will automatically be incompatible to
smalltalk-80 but since pretty much a huge percentage of the functionality
of Pharo and Smalltalk is in libraries since the language itself is so
minimal , I dont think it would be so hard to make your Pharo code
smalltalk-80 friendly.

I advice doing your own tests and seeing for yourself. Then ask questions
how to solve problems you encounter. No reason to panic before facing the
facts :)