Peter Kenny

From: Pharo-users [mailto:pharo-users-boun...@lists.pharo.org] On Behalf Of
Thierry Goubier

<mailto:henrik.s.johan...@veloxit.no> >:

3 @ -5 is not a problem, and accepted by both.

3 @ - <space> 5 is what I object to (and Opal allows)

RBParser allows this one even if old Compiler dissallows it (i.e. in Pharo
2).

I haven't tracked if Opal follows the RBParser on that or if this is the
reverse (Opal pushed changes on RBParser). I suspect all things RB in Pharo
(and Squeak?) are a port from the Dolphin version of RB, which means this is
allowed in quite a few other smalltalks (Dolphin?, VW?).

I haven't checked if the SmaCC Smalltalk parser accept that.

Note: 4 - 5 in RBParser does what you would expect. 4 - - 5 as well.

3 @-5 and/or 3 @- 5 is (rightly) disallowed by both.

That one is easier and expected.

My position would be twofold:
- RBParser is, IMHO, a good parser and I would follow its interpretation.
That Opal reuses it is a good point for me.

- As a programming language designer (and parser implementor), accepting - 5
is user friendly, but a bit too contextual in the lexer to be nice to
implement.

Thierry

Cheers,

Henry