Excerpts from Martin Bähr's message of 2015-01-26 02:00:14 +0100:
> Excerpts from Mayuresh Kathe's message of 2015-01-25 22:42:37 +0100:
> > is there any email client with imap + smtp support available under
> > "pharo" at the moment?
> >
> > problem:
> > due to compute power constraints, i am running "pharo" as my only
> > application via xinit, having to constantly switch between "pharo"
> > and console (for mutt) is becoming painful.  :)
>
> another approach to that problem (which i am interested in) is to have a
> terminal within pharo.
> take a look at http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~OS
> it now supports unix/linux and includes a terminal.

i have to retract that. it just opens a gnome-terminal. you'd still need a
window-manager to switch between terminal and pharo.

though it seems like that is our best option: find a minimalistic window
manager that allows switching between a few fullscreen windows...

without a window-manager the following could work: use an os command to open a
terminal.
(either OSLinuxUbuntu or just OSProcess: PipeableOSProcess command:
'gnome-terminal &'. )

it should open the terminal on top (though i don't know hw it behaves without a
window-manager)

run tmux (or screen) with mutt inside. detach tmux when done with email.
close the terminal, which brings you back to pharo.

that way the terminal is not using up resources when it's not running, but mutt
keeps running, and can be accessed when you need it.

greetings, martin.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life