I work with Pharo 4 and no longer use Pharo 3, its very stable I have not
experienced any kind of problem with it except one with autocompletion when
I was hacking Pharo themes for my Nirreas project.

Definetly recommend it to you to switch just for GTSpotter alone and many
other new nice things.

There million ways to help, you can a) bug fix c) document d) make your own
tools and share them with the rest of us e) introduce pharo to other people
so we can grow as a community and the list goes on and on.

I only spend a hour a day with Pharo but is my happiest hour :)