could be.
Write is not a fast action now with the mongo driver. Take into account that
each object generates a graph of dictionaries who are committed to the DB.
Depending on the complexity of that graph, you will have larger write times.

you can try measuring time of two separated operations:

[ serialized := VORepository current serializer serialize: theObject ]
timeToRun.

[ VORepository current resolver
        insert: theObject
        serialized: serialized
        withId: OID nextOID ] timeToRun.

that might give you a better idea of what happens (you can also use the
TimeProfiler to see where your time is consumed)

if you have to write such collections in a regular basis, from there you can
explore ways to speed up the process.

Sorry not being able to help more, but the amount of information you give me is
like going to the doctor and say “it hurts!” :P

cheers,
Esteban