Le 11/6/15 17:00, Stephan Eggermont a écrit :
On 10/06/15 20:36, Trygve Reenskaug wrote:
In which way is  the Pharo technology that underlies Moose more complex
than BabyIDE? Porting BabyIDE from Squeak 3.10 to 4.5 was hard because
it extends the Squeak Parser and debugger and that this is unknown
territory to me. There remains, of course, minor problems and bugs caused
by changes in the various services offered by the Squeak kernel.

Porting BabyIDE to Pharo is hard because:
- we now have a different compiler and debugger
- BabyIDE uses parts of Morphic that we changed and/or removed.
- Nautilus doesn't easily support changing the syntax highlighter

As key developers of Moose are also key developers of Pharo,
a smooth transformation is something that should be expected
or at least hoped for.

This is not true. But I have something else than arguing...

On the other hand, BabyIDE is much smaller than Moose.

you do not appear to appreciate the need that programmers (your
customers) have for a stable programming language.

We try to provide for both the need to have a stable environment
and the need to innovate and try new things. There is an inherent
conflict there that we try to resolve by providing a continuous
integration environment where we can get fast feedback on breaking changes. It works pretty well for the projects that have an active maintainer.

Stephan Eggermont