> (a b c) = (b a c) if a = b

(a b c) < (b a c) if a < b
> The semantics are well defined.

Since you mentioned JavaScript, you should know that you can't compare
arrays with ==, because it does object comparison.

No. Sorted collection maintains order of its elements, and I'm talking
> about order on [the set of] sequencable collections

This will make sense only if the objects have overriden their #=.
Which also means that it is not very useful to use #<, because you can't
define order without overriding #=.

Compare it to sorting a collection, where you can either do #sorted, which
will do "a <= b" by default, but you can still do #sorted: and specify the
sort order, dtto with PluggableDictionary etc.
So if anything, it would make more sense to be able to block-based testing
(without relying on #<), because more often then not you will have your
values wrapped in some (bigger) objects.

And finally "Because in almost every programming language..." is not an
argument.
You could argue that "1 + 2 * 3" should return "7", because that's how
every language does it and that's how mathematicians did it for thousands
of years. And yet Smalltalk happily returns "9" and yet it makes sense, and
some could argue that it's even better.

Peter