I believe there is some command line switch to the VM to ask for Unicode
clipboard handling, but I am not a Linux desktop user.

BTW, due to font substitution it is not easy to figure out which fonts have
full coverage, you cannot just try in some other app.

Font substitution is what Pharo should do as well, when missing a glyph.