Thanks Nicolai, the suspension seems to have quite a significant
performance impact.

Out of curiosity I did some benchmarking. Although the numbers seems to
vary a lot based on something (the size of the image jumped from 25 to 40MB
after I was done... and there seems to be some correlation with the
performance). Repeatedly running a benchmark seems also detrimental as the
performance can drop by over 30%... so probably it would be best to run
each benchmark in a completely new image...
However the fact that the performance decreases over time is problematic,
because that means that running the test suite will get worse over time.

I find it also peculiar to see that unlogged anonymous classes are faster
when the announcer is NOT suspended.

And while for classes the improvement was ~40x, for methods it was over
200x faster... so I guess the best way is to modify performTest behavior to
something like

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MyTestClass>>performTest
SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance suspendAllWhile: [ super performTest ]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Benchmarks (I've removed decimal parts and thousand separators because they
are always confusing me):

Class creation with announcer:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[ |cls|
cls := Object subclass: #Something.
cls removeFromSystem.
] bench. "'9 per second'"

[ |cls|
cls := Object subclass: #Something.
cls removeFromSystemUnlogged.
] bench. "'173 per second'"

[ |cls|
cls := Object newAnonymousSubclass.
cls removeFromSystem.
] bench. "'4 per second'"

[ |cls|
cls := Object newAnonymousSubclass.
cls removeFromSystemUnlogged.
] bench. "'512 per second'"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Class creation without announcer:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[ SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance suspendAllWhile: [ |cls|
cls := Object subclass: #Something.
cls removeFromSystem.
] ] bench. "'371 per second'"

[ SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance suspendAllWhile: [ |cls|
cls := Object subclass: #Something.
cls removeFromSystemUnlogged.
] ] bench. "'351 per second'"

[ SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance suspendAllWhile: [ |cls|
cls := Object newAnonymousSubclass.
cls removeFromSystem.
] ] bench. "'368 per second'"

[ SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance suspendAllWhile: [ |cls|
cls := Object newAnonymousSubclass.
cls removeFromSystemUnlogged.
] ] bench. "'430 per second'"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Methods with announcer:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cls := Object subclass: #Something.
[
cls compile: 'method ^ 1'.
] bench. "'9 per second'"

anon := Object newAnonymousSubclass.
[
anon compile: 'method ^ 1'.
] bench. "'9 per second'"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Methods without announcer
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cls := Object subclass: #Something.
[ SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance suspendAllWhile: [
cls compile: 'method ^ 1'.
] ] bench. "'1814 per second'"

anon := Object newAnonymousSubclass.
[ SystemAnnouncer uniqueInstance suspendAllWhile: [
anon compile: 'method ^ 1'.
] ] bench. "'2063 per second'"

Peter

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 12:29 AM, Robert Withers <robert.w.with...@gmail.com