I am a co-heretic with Doru.

In domain-specific languages built on top of Pharo you are faced exactly with
what Doru is saying. I see these issues in my work on Live Robot Programming
(and stuff before that). The proposed change to Spotter would be a good
solution to keep all browsing options.

> On Mar 2, 2016, at 10:40, Tudor Girba <tu...@tudorgirba.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Hmm.
>
> I understand that what I will say is heresy, but this behavior is really not
> wanted :). At least by me.
>
> Let me explain.
>
> The reason why we use a different font for code is exactly to document where
> the code related behavior is expected. If we have code related shortcuts
> everywhere, two things happen:
> - we impose code shortcuts everywhere, even in pieces of text that should
> have nothing to do with code.
> - we either have them present in contextual menus, or we do not document
> their existence. Either situations are not nice.
>
> I understand that this is how things worked for 20 years, but it is a
> limiting behavior that does not allow us to build new tools easily. I know
> that people use those text editors to enter some name and then press a
> shortcut to browse, but now we have Spotter that can do the same thing a
> little better.
>
> Here is the alternative:
> - whenever we have a selected piece of text, and we press Shift+Enter, we get
> that piece of text in Spotter filled by default
> - then using the shortcuts, we can browse what we want
>
> This is not yet implemented, but I think it can prove to become a new reflex
> that will solve the problems uniformly without imposing hardcoded shortcuts
> everywhere.
>
> Please feel free to shoot :)
>
> Cheers,
> Doru

PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of
Chile