On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 6:25 AM, Hernán Morales Durand
<hernan.mora...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Stef,
>
> For bioinformatics research it would be **really** nice to have:
>
> - Tree creation algorithms: UPGMA, WPGMA.
> - MCMC methods: Metropolis-adjusted Langevin algorithm (MALA and SMMALA),
> Metropolis-coupled MCMC (MC3) would enable Bayesian inferences and to work
> with evolution of genes. I cannot tell how important is to have such
> algorithms implemented in Smalltalk.
> - Mahalanobis distance for analyzing bacterial plasmids.
> - Random Forest is used a lot for gene expression, protein-protein
> interaction predictions, genome-wide association studies, etc . For the
> argument "let's use FFI for it" please remember many of these methods are
> extended, like enriched random forest, for research with specialized data.

Can you add enhancement issues in the SciSmalltalk issue tracker :
https://github.com/SergeStinckwich/SciSmalltalk/issues
in order to keep them in mind ?

We are trying to create a pure Smalltalk library, so we try to avoid
FFI as much as possible :-)

> There are implementations of naive Bayes classifier in NaturalSmalltalk
> (which could be adapted to SciPharo)
> http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~hernan/NaturalSmalltalk

Great, if we can move them to SciSmalltalk.

> As a side note I found an interesting history report of SciPy.
> From the slide 9 onwards:
>
> http://sssslide.com/www.slideshare.net/shoheihido/sci-pyhistory
>
> Presentation shows SciPy history (credited contributors with pictures, very
> nice!).
> As you can se they even have a Foundation NumFOCUS for raising money.

For sure, money always help ;-)
The only problem at the moment is that the Pharo community is much
smaller at the moment than the Python one.

Thank you for your help.
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)