I don't think this is documented, but you can take a look at the
SemanticWarningIconStyler class. This class is in charge of styling the
semantic warnings.
In AbstractNautilusUI>>addIconStyle you can see more how the icons are
added. In short, you have to extend AbstractIconStyler for your own needs.
The idea is that you first mark the nodes of the AST using Reflectivity and
then, extending AbstractIconStyler, you can use that mark on the nodes to
add an icon, highlight the code, put a label and even add an action when
the icon is clicked.

I hope this helps you.

Miguel