> I'm looking at the dependencies of pharo-launcher on ubuntu, and I don't
> see any dependency on libcairo2:i386.

It's a Cairo dependency, not necessarily Pharo's dependency — i.e. you can
use Pharo for a long time and never need cairo.

For a smother Gnu/Linux experience, the message could be a little bit more
> descriptive, something advicing to check for LibCairo 32 bit in the system
> and installing it, if it is not present.

Well the error does say 'Cannot locate cairo library. Please check if it
installed on your system', and from the paths it's checking its pretty
clear what it needs.

So if you are a linux user it's more than enough to see what's going
on/what's needed.
And if you are not a linux user, then anything short of exact instructions
how to install it would be imho equally useless.

 I have been thinking in some kind of interface with the Nix package
> manager[2]

Because what's better than telling users how to install a package in a
particular distro?
Tell them how to install a whole new package manager in their particular
distro and then tell them how to install a package.

We can also go all the way and just bundle all the libraries and have
option to download "self-contained linux vm" (this is what I've actually
done for one of my projects, because the users didn't have root privilege
to install new packages on the computers).