Hi Stef,
All communications with the AR.Drone are done via exchage of UDP and TCP
packages between the drone's firmware and the client.
Packages are sent by a Wifi network, which is managed by the drone's
firmware. In addition to this, the firmware automates the flight manouvers
(take off, roll, pitch, hover etc.), sends a navigation data stream, and a
video stream. The client can control the drone's movement and configuration
by sending 'AT commands', whose structure is specified in the AR.Drone
developer guide.

I'm now sure if I answered your question. If I didn't please let me know.

Thanks for your interest

AR.Drone developer guide:
https://abstract.cs.washington.edu/~shwetak/classes/ee472/notes/ARDrone_SDK_1_6_Developer_Guide.pdf