On 17 April 2016 at 16:47, Thierry Goubier <thierry.goub...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> In fact it is there, but indirect (you can give a $WHERE when you create a
> remote git repository with Monticello: it's the name parameter).

But I'd have to somehow create the monticello repo then pass it to
metacello?

> But, if we focus on the $WHERE more directly, what would you like?
>
> - A per-url/per-project SWHERE? It could make the url syntax a bit hard
> (there is already a $: to indicate branch and, implicitely, subdirectory
> inside the git repo) but there is nothing forbidding it. Something like:
> 'gitfiletree://
> github.com/dalehenrich/filetree:pharo5.0/repository/?where=/home/username/project/filetree'
> (is that a correct url syntax?)

Yes, per-project.

My use-case is I often clone repos with a different name than they have on
github (e.g. I took the convention that my github repos are named
pharo-something so that they stand out, but locally I don't care too much
about the pharo- prefix. I could also imagine a myproject/dependencies/
subdirectory, where all clones of accessory projects would go.

About the URL, I'm not sure the colon used for branch/subdir is really
correct; usually that's the role of the fragment, no?
https://url.spec.whatwg.org/#url-syntax

Does this have to be specified in the URL? Conceptually, the monticello
repo that should be created/used is gitfiletree://imageDirectory/$WHERE.
Metacello does have to know from which git remote URL to do the clone, but
that's not the same thing as the filetree repo per se.

>   - Note that I have a procedure for having the Pharo build environment
> integrated inside the git, if you'd like (i.e. git clone download also the
> build command for the right Pharo image: this is my professional setup).

In fact my current project is trying to do exactly that: a command-line
tool that knows which base image to get, which VM to run it with, which
baselines to get / load, etc. — and as a preemptive heads-up, I already
have a name for it: fari (italian for "lighthouses" and esperanto for "to
do"; fari.st would even look like faristo = maker