because it's like this

ensureCreateFolder : create the folder structure if necessary
ensureCreateFile : create the file if necessary

I really don't see any gain from changing existing behavior and introducing
potential problems.
If I ask for file to be created, I don't expect that the system will
suddenly start creating folders, that's a unintentional side effect.
If you need it for your convenience, then it's dead-easy to implement
without breaking existing stuff.