In my older work image, the following just works:

XMLDOMParser parse:
('http://forum.world.st/file/n4908531/illegal-UTF-sms.xml' asUrl
retrieveContents).

But I guess that is because my (older) XML parser version ignores the encoding,
or is more lenient.

You could try to edit the incoming file, or have a look at #decodesCharacters:

(XMLDOMParser on:
('http://forum.world.st/file/n4908531/illegal-UTF-sms.xml' asUrl
retrieveContents) readStream) decodesCharacters: false; parseDocument.

But I am no expert in the deeper aspects of XML Support.