Hi,

This thread derived on using GitHub, the transitions to it, the mismatch between the Smalltalk code model and the files code model. I would like to offer another view.

Pharo is working pretty well here. We have just finished our seventh edition of the Data Week workshop+hackathon. This time we explored the fossil DCVS and make some templates with mustache to export/publish some data visualizations. The infrastructure we have now doesn't get in our way, installing the software with Catalog, updating with Monticello, syncing changes while the workshop is happening, working with teapot, tealight and the mustache binding all that went pretty smooth. The supporting documentation for these tools was of great help.

Nicolas is making a good job in making the transition to Git/GitHub smooth, but at the same time he is having a critical perspective on git and its workflow (which is not the best for every community, case or project) and I think that's healthy, so we don't need to make Pharo conform to git.

So I just want to add that there are other places and people (mostly not developers), here in Colombia, South America, that really appreciate what the Pharo ecosystem, in its current form, is offering: its fluid, uniform, connected, self contained, and powerful. It is a breath of fresh air in the current overcomplicated technology. I just hope that the migration and evolution preserve and maximize that. Keeping the equilibrium between fast feedback, change, diversity, balkanisation, visibility and hyper trendy is difficult, but hopefully the core experience that Pharo is providing, will guide such equilibrium, and continue to serve its several communities around the world.

Cheers,

Offray