On 12/14/2016 12:09 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
Can you extend on suspending the UI process? I never did that.

I feed my images a start script on the command line

pharo-vm-nox \
    -vm-sound-null -vm-display-null \
    /var/pharo/app.image \
    /var/pharo/startScript

startScript containing one line (among others) like so...

        Project uiProcess suspend.

I'm on an older Pharo, but I presume the newer ones are the same or similar. No sense in wasting CPU on a UI in a headless image

Won't the idle use add up?

Sure eventually, but you don't run more than a 2 or so per core so that'll never be a problem. You shouldn't be running 5 images on a single core, let alone more.

In my case I served up to 20 concurrent users (out of ~100 total) with
only 5 images. Plus another two images for the REST API. In a dual
core server.

That's barely a server, most laptops these days have more cores. Rent a virtual server with a dozen or more cores, then you can run a few images per core without the idle mattering at all and run 2 dozen images in total per 12 core server.

Scale by adding cores and ram allowing you to run more images per box; or scale by running more boxes, ultimately, you need to spread out the load across many many cores.

--
Ramon Leon