On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 8:00 PM, Clément Bera <bera.clem...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> About the best way to help...
>
> A reproducible case that we (VM developers) can reproduce easily is the
> best way to help. If we do not have a way to reproduce your bug, we cannot
> do anything about it. The best is an image which crashes immediately after
> start-up or a do-it that reliably crash the system, combined with all the
> version numbers (OS version, vm version, pharo version) or a crash dump
> file which includes all those version numbers.
>
> Trying another version of Pharo (like 5 instead of 6 like you did) and the
> latest VM over the stable is another thing you can do. If you can prove
> that the bug comes from recent images or recent VMs it helps us as we know
> where to look (in the VM or in the image).
>
> As Oleks said the bug you mentioned should be fixed in the latest VM. The
> latest VM will be promoted to stable in the incoming weeks for the Pharo 6
> release. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The *known* buggy "stable-VM" really needs to be replaced ASAP.  I've
counted half a dozen reports of people burnt by it and stability concerns
can only discourage more people from testing Pharo 6 beta.

The answer ever time has been to use vmLatest, so why not someone just log
onto the files server and manually rename the current "-latest" to
"-stable".  Don't take time to determine which "latest" is most stable.
Any seems a better choice than the VM with *known* compactor bug.  We need
a stable-Pre-Release-VM for final beta testing.

cheers -ben