It occurred to me that with the C++ support in Pharo 6 it might be relatively
easy to use this driver https://github.com/vrogier/ocilib to connect to Oracle.
 I will look into it over the weekend.

Andrew Glynn

From: Norbert Hartl [mailto:norb...@hartl.name]
Sent: Friday, June 23, 2017 11:07 AM
To: Pharo users users
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] [ANN] success story: surgery appointments digitalised

Am 22.06.2017 um 17:43 schrieb Ben Coman
<b...@openinworld.com<mailto:b...@openinworld.com>>:

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 8:40 PM, Norbert Hartl
<norb...@hartl.name<mailto:norb...@hartl.name>> wrote:
It interfaces with a legacy patient information system, microsoft exchange and
other stuff in order to orchestrate the arrangement of surgery dates. The tool
automates planning (which doctor works on which day and has still time to do
the operation,….). Finalized plans are produced in PDF an printed by the staff.

This as a short info. If you have question don't hesitate to ask.

Implanting more pharo everywhere :)

Great to hear of your success here.

There must be a massive market like this...   "Unfortunately XXX didn't offer a
proper interface, so we had to dive into the depths of their data base for
reverse engineering, to be able to reconstruct functionalities"
and if Pharo's liveness helped in this reverse engineering, that would make a
great marketing blog post fro you and Pharo... "How a niche language gives us
the superpowers to do what others can't."  hehe...

Indeed the market is huge. Pharo was of help here but would have been a huge
help if an oracle driver would have been existed. The biggest problem so far is
that it seems they managed to get mixed character encoding in their database.
That is close to impossible to solve.

Norbert