Peter Kenny wrote
> I would expect the parser which fails to also
> fail, for the same reason, if the input is just 'John Smith' without the
> 'Jr'.

Correct! It did.

Peter Kenny wrote
> The top-level construct in your parser is PPSequenceParser, which works in
> simple-minded way; it just checks whether each of its component parsers
> succeeds. If one of them fails, the whole sequence fails; it does not try
> backtracking.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. It seems I just got lucky in that when I've done
this before, it was the special case you mention below of unique tokens

Peter Kenny wrote
> firstName, ((middleName, lastName)/ lastName), generational optional

That worked for all interesting cases.

Peter Kenny wrote
> If you are going to produce a parser which copes with all the vagaries of
> people's names, especially outside the US, I think you will have some fun.

Ha ha, no doubt. I am not presuming to capture the whole domain, just an
interesting - and thankfully very limited - subset!

Thanks for all the help :)

-----
Cheers,
Sean