On Sun, Oct 08, 2017 at 06:33:08PM +0200, Guillermo Polito wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't think that FileSystem is caching entries...

I haven't seen any code in the Pharo image or FilePlugin that caches
data.

> However, we found somehow
> related bug the other day with Mariano and Pablo while running OSSupprocess
> tests on travis/linux. The bug is as follows. The test was doing:
>
> '/tmp' asFileReference entries do: [...]
>
> And then it was calling 'lsof' over pharo's pid to know files that pharo has
> open.
>
> funny thing is that lsof was telling us that '/tmp' was open! When we already
> retrieved the entries and the file reference was collected...
>
> The same in osx or local linux mate running in a virtual box did not happen
> :/.

I was able to reproduce the issue on Ubuntu 16.04 using
Pharo7.0-32bit-d13eed2.image.

I haven't tracked the cause down, but the problem doesn't exist with the
proposed fix I have for symbolic links (fogbugz 18279
https://pharo.fogbugz.com/f/cases/18279/isSymlink-seems-to-be-broken-on-Linux).
This patch also updates the code responsible for iterating over
directories, which is why it can resolve this issue as well.

Cheers,
Alistair