Just change the subject as this is not (only) on I18n.

As a summary and from my impression (I just dive into pharo more seriously
these days).

> Le 11 nov. 2017 à 21:29, Hilaire <hila...@drgeo.eu> a écrit :
>
> P6 is definitely a better IDE compare to previous version, and for coming
> Calypso looks fantastic, but P6 is a worst vehicle for a desktop application.
> There is much more code included and you are on your on to shrink/clean it to
> deploy your desktop application to make it looks and behave user friendly.
> May be for a specialized audience it could be just fine to deploy as is.

So it’s more a problem of deployment here. To me P6 is the last « fat image »
artefact. P7 will definitely be better here (even if of course one must learn
to create image differently -  and of course the process might be quite fragile
at first and error prone).
Still my impression but P7 looks more appropriate for doing desktop app versus
P6.

> About my perception on Pharo, from a distant POV, I see
> parallel/overlapping/contiguous layers like Morphic, Athens, Sparta, Bloc,
> Brick, Spec, GT, Polymorph all this looks confusing for me and I really don't
> know or understand where to put my eggs.

It is to me too (hence something else to learn). But again personally, this is
the first time I think of doing desktop applications in Pharo/ST (before, it
was a no go => web apps only). Still, I wait another iteration to dive into (I
just read brick and block doc).

> When I took a look at Pharo keyboard shortcut, it seems to be -- without been
> sure 100% -- there are two different implementations. One from GT and another
> one, probably a legacy one. How can it happen? Then you wonder about other
> part of the system. It makes fells like changes/implementations are not
> coherent, and you don't really fell the environment as coherent or trustful.

Probable as the new rendering stack must be used and improved. I can’t make
some shortcuts (native) working like CMD+SHIFT+W for instance...

> May be the twist is ontological, Pharo (and Squeak) taking too much
> responsibilities and not delegating enough to the host environment: GUI,
> Freetype, Canvas. The energy required is then out of reach or the needed
> coherence in teams works too complex. Don't know, just blind guesses, I will
> now shut up.

I don’t think you have to shut up :)
Dr Geo is a quite complex software the used a lot morphic I think, so it is
also a perfect candidate to see how switching to Bloc/Brick is
possible/interesting :)
I just have the impression that P7 would be more appropriate than P6 for
upgrading it.

Again, only my 2 cents,

Cédrick