On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 6:03 PM, K K Subbu <kksubbu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday 13 November 2017 09:50 AM, Ben Coman wrote:
>
>> I've managed to build PDFium into a shared library on Ubuntu 16.04.
>> (I'll announce a blog post on this later.)
>> Now I'm considering the best bitmap format to bring the rendered page
>> back into Pharo.
>>

> Have you considered importing PDFs as a sequence of compressed PNGs into
> Pharo? If you not interested in twiddling pixels in the imported PDFs,
> perhaps PNG may be sufficient. They take up lesser space and easier to move
> around or re-export.
>
> Regards .. Subbu

Yes, I've certainly considered it.  Pragmatically, in my electrical career
I deal with a lot of single page A3 PDF scans of schematic drawings, so
pre-converting to a bitmap format outside of Pharo wouldn't lose much.
 But I've wanted PDF rendering inside Pharo for *years* and finally got a
sniff of a solid possibility - so I'm chasing it down.  It might not pan
out like I imagine, but "Live programming PDF documents" seems like a
catchy meme that the broader community may find intriguing.

Really, I'm just curious about what might be possible and can only discover
that by walking the way.

cheers -ben