Hi,

this is a bit more confusing than I originally thought. So let me elaborate
(this is not part of Pharo I've dabbled in before...)
(there's an issue 20212 for this)

The problem is somewhere in SyntaxErrorDebugger and probably
SyntaxErrorNotification.

Normally (by normally I mean according to the implementation) when an
syntax debugger is created, it is created in new process.
However when I close the window without saving, the process is not
terminated.

Some one has decided that SyntaxErrorDebugger>>release was not good enough,
so they've added a WindowClosed catch (in SyntaxErrorDebugger
class>>buildMorphicViewOn: ) that in turn calls
SyntaxErrorDebugger>>handleWindowClosed.

That probably fixed whatever the author was trying to fix, but it broke
overall.

The expected behavior should be:

1) when a debugger window appears and I close it, the process should
terminate -- it doesn't
2) when a debugger window appears and I enter a valid text and save it,
2.i) the process should terminate -- it doesn't
2.ii) the method should be compiled -- it compiles the original broken code

So something like this can happen

Something compile: '^^'.
* enter some correct code, e.g. 'method ^ 1' *
Something selectors "-> #(#method)"
(Something>>#method) sourceCode "-> '^^'"

I don't understand how this is even possible to have sourceCode that
doesn't include the selector.

3) when a debugger window appears and I enter invalid code, then it should
2.a) either terminate the previous process and launch a new process
containing the updated, but broken code
2.b) or not terminate and reuse the current process but display the new
broken code

right now it creates a new process, but doesn't terminate.

Peter

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 9:42 PM, Guillermo Polito <guillermopol...@gmail.com