After some more investigation, I think it is not the greated bottleneck.

When I render points not as discs but as Square, Athens is happy. I guess the Cairo way of doing this is very slow because its seems Cairo does not come with dedicated disc rendering code, it must be render with portion of arc, as far as I remember.

If I prevent to render empty text label attached with each point, Athens is even happier. Text font rendering through Athens seems to be slow.

Hilaire