I agree with you that it is weird, but as I understand it it is
because the process of "Saving" a package and "Committing" it is
merged into a single action, so there is no way to "save" the package
other than committing its changes to the repo.

This has the drawback you mentioned, but I guess this enables you to
simultaneously save the same package to more than one repository.

Maybe a diagram could make the whole picture more clear.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo