> The minimal example seems to load fast enough. Do you think there is a
> potential to slim it down even further for a production system that
> uses the DOM as its UI, ie remove morphic and others and use the image
> in headless mode?

     Certainly. I've done some experiments with "animated wireframes"
for the development tools. See [1]. I can compose UIs in HTML, then read
them into SqueakJS and give them behavior by giving them DOM event
handlers written in Smalltalk.

> Thanks for the offer to work together on the Pharo port. It is too
> early for me to commit to that, but I definitely like the idea. Right
> now I'm just checking out. I'd like to use Pharo's (or Squak's)
> interactive development workflow to develop single page web apps and
> mobile apps in a reliable manner.

     Yes, I've found it to be a very productive environment. It's great
to be able to debug things in situ, in the DOM environment.

> Is there a way to run the IDE in a separate window from the actual
> application, so that the UI would behave as in production during
> development? I'm especially thinking of responsive web applications
> here.

     Yes; I've also built an interface to the Google remote debugging
protocol, so (in Chrome) I can run SqueakJS in one browser window, and
control whatever's going on in any other browser window.

> (If not then perhaps putting them into divs next to each other might
> be a decent workaround)

     Yeah, this is what I did in the first Caffeine demo[2]. When I want
the Smalltalk IDE to disappear I just set the opacity of its div to zero
and its pointer-events to none. This approach works across all browsers.

     thanks,

-C

[1] https://tinyurl.com/y9ngn363 (github.com)
[2] https://caffeine.js.org