Dear Jan,

I just tried to use PP2 but ran into two issues:

1. PP2 does not load into Pharo 6.1 stable.
2. I use #- to create character classes but was not able to find the equivalent in PP2 yet.

There should be no fundamental issue with porting PP2 to VW. As far as I
know, there is an automated tool to do so, right?

I am not aware of this tool. Can you give me some hints what exactly to look for?

Best, Steffen

On the other hand, PP
is
stable and does not change, PP2 is maintained and updated from time to time (mostly adding optimizations), so there might be an overhead of syncing PP2
to VW2.

Cheers,
Jan

[1]:
https://kursjan.github.io/petitparser2/pillar-book/build/Chapters/memoization.html

On Fri, Oct 5, 2018, 13:26 Steffen Märcker <merk...@web.de> wrote:

Hi Doru!

> I assume that you tried the original PetitParser. PetitParser2 offers
> the possibility to optimize the parser (kind of a compilation), and
this
> provides a significant speedup:
> https://github.com/kursjan/petitparser2
>
> Would you be interested in trying this out?

Yes, I'd like to give this a shot, too. However, as far as I know, PP2 is
only available for Pharo and not VW, is it?

Speaking of optimizations, I also tried to use memoizing the petit
parser.
However, the times got worse instead of better. Is there a rule of thumb
where to apply #memoized in a sensible way? As far as I understand,
applying it to the root parser does not memoize subsequent parsers, does
it?

Kind regards, Steffen