Bizarre. I've created a new VirtualBox image of Debian and now this solution
no longer works! I'm still getting the thread priority warning. So this
solution appears to be unreliable.

<sigh>

On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 at 04:02, horrido &lt;horrido.hobbies@&gt; wrote:

> Okay, I've resolved everything. First, the reason why I'm getting the
> 'pthread_setschedparam failed' error when I run Pharo under Debian is
> because it must be run as 'root'! Don't ask me why, but that's the reason
> why Pharo can't set thread priorities. (This wasn't an issue under Ubuntu
> Server – go figure.)
>
> Second, I am now using Pharo's own SHA256 class. It's probably not as
> secure
> (because it doesn't use a salt value) and not as quick to execute (not
> being
> C code), but for my purpose, it doesn't really matter.
>
> So I can use DigitalOcean or OVH to run my web server in a VPS.

Good to hear.  But you shouldn't need to run Pharo as root,
just be root to create this config file....
cat <<END | sudo tee /etc/security/limits.d/pharo.conf
*      hard    rtprio  2
*      soft    rtprio  2
END

cheers -ben