I am not advocating for PCRE in particular, I just need a regex engine that is
just as powerful. I guess re2 serves that purpose, although I haven't used it
myself (knowingly).

Looking at https://github.com/google/re2/wiki/WhyRE2
<https://github.com/google/re2/wiki/WhyRE2>, re2 actually seems to be a good
target. "match time is linear in the length of the input string", sounds like a
really nice property.