Regarding native widget, on the VW side the usage on them brought slowness on
the OSX platform. Windows platform is speedy, but OSX platform is slower using
native widget than with emulated ones.

So native widget alone are not always a solution.

That’s interesting and unexpected (I don’t use OSX).  I would think that
something is wrong with the VW native implementation or interface to it.  VW
emulates GUIs well, but I would not expect it to beat native.

Shaping

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 2:08 PM Esteban Lorenzano <esteba...@gmail.com
<mailto:esteba...@gmail.com> > wrote:

On 7 Oct 2019, at 12:39, Shaping <shap...@uurda.org <mailto:shap...@uurda.org>
> wrote:

I haven't seen is the instability of the VM you mention, it has worked pretty
well for my average use, although the UX is not straightforward.

Yes, lots of redirection and extra steps.  Many degrees of freedom.  Seemingly
no good default “happy” path to simplify things a little before you start to
investigate the variations/choices.

> The other thing that keeps me planted firmly in VW is the sheer speed of it.

I don't know if there are recent benchmarks, but I've felt Pharo to be really
fast compared to VW when it comes to computing.

I’ve don’t plenty of informal comparative testing mostly with the GUI.   I’ve
used VW continuously for 29 years and Pharo on and off since 2006.  (I’m really
trying to port, but I keep failing to do it; getting closer).   VW is still
noticeably quicker in GUI responsiveness, in most cases.  One big difference is
the Pharo HTTP client, with all those wonderful primitives.  It’s about twice
as fast as VW’s.  Bravo.  I meant to tell that to Sven recently, and forgot.

> Pharo looks generally much better, but it’s mushy, and that’s a problem.  VW
> is not.

Working regularly with VW or VAST when I go back to Pharo the "mushiness" is
significantly noticeable, but if you open a Pharo 3 image (or even Pharo 4)
you'll feel it really "snappy", but of course you'll lose all the improvements
since then; and that's the current tradeoff.’

Yeah, I guess all the new slick GUIs are a bit heavier.  This machine is just
okay for speed –2.7 GHz Xeon, but VW feels okay.  Pharo tends to put me slowly
to sleep with the tiny but noticeable lags here and there.   I’m very fond of
GT.  Beautiful.   Not sure what to do go get the GUI quickness back.  Maybe you
 guys are waiting for the new GUI framework(s) to firm up?   I tried Cuis, and
was not impressed.  It’s too lean/Spartan and still not very fast (slower in
some ways than Pharo).  I like the Pharo creature-comforts (who wouldn’t?).

I never understood the reason for the incremental slowdown, it is even present
in "modern" tools such as GTToolkit.

Yes, it’s like a creeping disease.  Lol

Another thing I miss enough to want to implement (or fake-out somehow) is
Alt-tabbing as a way to get around thru your browsers. Usually I have 4 to 6 up
at once, if I’m behaving, and as many as 20 if I’m not.   Looking about for the
tabs at the bottom to click is not nearly as fun as Alt-Tabbing.  Maybe I could
emulate Alt-Tab with Alt-Shift-Tab—a bit of a finger twister, but it might work.

> Gestural dynamics are very quick, well under 100 ms latency, often less than
> 20 ms.

> I’m seeing 100, 150, and 200 ms regularly in Pharo.  It’s too mushy, and that
> slows the mind.

> Any developer understands this, whether he talks about it or not.

This is true, below 20ms is ideal, and top-notch CLI terminals are benchmarking
this as a selling point (using stuff like
<https://github.com/pavelfatin/typometer>
https://github.com/pavelfatin/typometer), Sublime, TextEdit, Notepad++ measure
sub 10ms latency.

Indeed.

My whole nervous system definitely feels this speed effect and starts to
thought-glide better below these tiny latencies.  I’m sure many reading this
have had similar experiences.  Something similar happens when you are fortunate
enough to use a machine with extremely fast striped SSD drives, where you
literally don’t wait for anything, except the bloody internet.  This doesn’t
just change the speed at which you do the work.  It reorganizes your mind and
skills in ways you had not anticipated because you can flow so much more
quickly, making connections further forward and backward in your thought
stream.  My point is that if the speed and low-latencies are made a priority,
we can attract users just on this basis alone.  Even I would be working harder
at improving Pharo (and complaining less) if everything were snappy.  I would
probably just get on with doing the needed tasks.  Interesting how that works.
Speed:  it changes you.  It changes the whole game.

> So I’m wondering when the Pharo GUI will snap as well as VW.

Maybe with native widgets there will be a significant speedup, although I don't
know whether the lag comes from rendering time or from something else.

I would like to know more about the native widgets in Pharo.  Does anyone know
when this is likely to happen?

I know, since I’m doing it :)

Native widgets (more like “gtk widgets”. This is technically just native under
linux, but Gtk3 works very well both in Windows and Mac (you just has to ship
it) will be available for development in Pharo 8.

Now, moving the whole Pharo into it will take a bit longer, and we hope to be
able to have a “Pharo Gtk experience” for Pharo 9 (lots of tools to migrate to
Spec2).

Esteban

But VW event model is not better than Pharo's, so it might be something else.

I’ve not looked into the details, but I will sometimes just repeatedly click on
a method name and watch how long the code pane takes to render in VW and Pharo,
and I don’t get what Pharo could be doing to make that time so long.  Both are
indexing into the sources file or the changes file to get some text, and then
there is the TT-font rendering, which is probably where the CPU cycles are
going.  I should look into if further, but I’m sure someone reading this knows
enough about the rendering path to say where the bottleneck is.

Cheers,

Shaping