On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 04:07:49AM -0300, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:
> Because I am lazy and want to avoid searching through all DockerHub
> repository pages... Do you know a Dockerfile to generate the smallest
> possible docker image for Pharo?
> Anyone could make it work Pharo on Alpine since it uses different libc?

Hi Hernán,

Please see following links:

- https://github.com/pharo-contributions/Docker-Alpine
- https://hub.docker.com/r/pierceng/pharovm-alpine
- https://hub.docker.com/r/pierceng/pharo7-alpine
- https://www.samadhiweb.com/blog/2019.07.20.alpine.pharo.minimal.html
- https://www.samadhiweb.com/blog/2019.08.11.minimizing.pharo.html

The Alpine-based VM can be made smaller by removing unused/irrelevant
modules.

Image-wise, currently I am using Pharo 7 minimal, which is just under
30MB, and that forms the lower bound of the Pharo image size.

However there is also the Pharo Candle effort that aims to make really
small images, which I hope to try out soon.

> I am also interested in which stage you use to install packages into the
> image, and why? Do you copy the contained image into docker already built?

For Pharo, I start with the regular or minimal image, then load my
packages.

For Docker, I first build a container image for the VM only. Using that
I build a new container image from the Pharo image and other required
files.

> [1] http://subuser.org/news/0.3.html

Interesting. I use Firejail for big programs such as Chromium.

Pierce