Paul, I'm going by memory and not Pharo specific.

I believe the default handling of the end of the exception block is
implicitly equivalent to ex return: nil.

So, to get further handling of the exception, you need to #pass it or
otherwise resignal it. Then the development environment will catch and
handle the unhandled exception.