This rant states once again that in Smalltalk everything is an object.
Alas, it is not (but should). This is a shortlist of things which is
currently not objects in smalltalk:

* Message categories
* Class categories (there is something called packages, which is rather
useful as they are actually objects, but they are not really done nicely -
manifest and RPackage???)
* The virtual machine (there is only one singleton thingie)
* The screen (there is only one why can one not instantiate more than one
world - I guess it is somewhat possible when we get gtk).
* Projects as (as in collection of objects).

I happened to learn Simula before Smalltalk (I am Scandinavian after all).
When I program in Smalltalk I for sure miss nested classes and other
block-structured things.

I happened to learn Beta (successor to Simula) before Smalltalk. I miss
being able to define virtual classes - but it is moot as there is no block
structure.

To me, what really is nice about Smalltalk is NOT the language - it is the
image and live programming. And I can get around all the problems with the
language because of it. I miss:

* Nested name spaces - when we finally get around to it, please do not do
just one level.
* Singular objects with behaviour I can write in a few lines (a single
object overriding one or a few methods)
* A simple switch/case statement
* …

But despite all this, I find programming in smalltalk much more fulfilling
than any other thing I ever touched.

Best,

Kasper