H Michael- that seems strange, I just tried the following on a Pharo8 with
Catalina:

OSPlatform current currentWorkingDirectoryPath.

> /Users/macta/Dev/Smalltalk/Pharo/Pharo 8.0 - 64bit

I’m using PharoLauncher, although my images are not stored in Documents, but
~/Dev/Smalltalk/Pharo (I adjusted the launcher settings). Not sure if that
makes a difference? Or - perhaps you didn’t allow Pharo disk read privileges
(that is a new security check in Catalina - see the OSX System Preferences,
Security and Privacy, Files and Folders. Mine has a pharo entry with access to
Downloads, Documents and Desktop).

Tim