On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 08:41:04AM -0500, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
> So, a better question would be: Is possible to load programatically (via
> a code snippet) using Iceberg, Monticello or something else a baseline
> that installs a project and its dependencies and is hosted in an
> independent Git provider? How can self hosted git repositories
> containing baselines be loaded?

Hi Offray,

I don't define dependencies in baselines for stuff in my self-hosted
Gitea because I work on them myself and I know their interdependencies.
And since I am working on them, they are all locally checked out.

I load my stuff in the correct order like this:

  Metacello new
    baseline: 'StuffOne';
    repository: 'tonel:///home/pierce/work/git/StuffOne/src';
    load.

  Metacello new
    baseline: 'StuffTwo';
    repository: 'tonel:///home/pierce/work/git/StuffTwo/src';
    load.

Here StuffTwo is dependent on StuffOne. To be clear, I have written
baselines for StuffOne and StuffTwo, which is how I am loading them
here. I'm just not defining in StuffTwo's baseline that StuffOne is a
dependency.

For me this is more agile because I only need to edit my load snippet
and I get immediate feedback by running it.  The Git repo roundtripping
of fixing up dependencies in baselines OTOH feels more like the
edit-compile-test cycle.  Eventually if/when I publish StuffOne and
StuffTwo, I do have to define the dependencies but it'll be easy because
then they'll be on Github.

Pierce