Hi all,

I am interested in energy efficiency metrics for Pharo (version >=8). Just now,
I came across this research and related GitHub project:
https://sites.google.com/view/energy-efficiency-languageshttps://github.com/greensoftwarelab/Energy-Languages

Unfortunately, the paper mentions that Smalltalk was excluded from the results
because the (VW) compiler was proprietary :-S However, the GitHub repository
does contain Smalltalk code and results, but I haven't been able to evaluate
those.

[1] Does anyone here have more information on this topic?

The benchmarks seem to be low-level algorithms. Although that is useful, I
think that a better argument for Pharo/Smalltalk efficiency is that a good OO
design (e.g. created using responsibility-driven design with behaviorally
complete objects) will be a better fit, can be much simpler and will thus be
more efficient during development, as well as easier to maintain and evolve.

[2] Has anyone done any research in this area that can quantify this aspect?

Kind regards,

Jonathan van Alteren

Founding Member | Object Guild B.V.
Sustainable Software for Purpose-Driven Organizations

jvalte...@objectguild.com