oke,

im haskell  I see how things are working but pharo is not smalltalk.
So how do you see this in smalltalk.

Roelof

Op 23-12-2020 om 01:29 schreef Richard O'Keefe:
Yes, there is a better way to do it.
I found this particular problem at the Programming Praxis

This is a superb example of how an informal specification
and a set of test cases can diverge.

The specification says to score a bowling game according
to a particular set of rules.  Here is exactly the algorithm
called for, written in the functional programming language
Haskell:

score (10:b:c:xs) =         b+10+c+(if null xs then 0 else score (b:c:xs))
score (a:b:c:xs) | a+b = 10 = 10+c+(if null xs then 0 else score (c:xs))
score (a:b:xs) =               a+b+(if null xs then 0 else score xs)

That's *it*.  Explanation, (10:b:c:xs) means "a sequence starting
with 10, followed by something (call it b), followed by something
(call it c), followed by the rest of the sequence (call that xs).
This is actually strictly statically typed as well.
And it shows the while the data are *provided* from first to
last, the score is most easily *computed* from last to first.

Let's remind ourselves of Kent Beck's four rules of good code:
1. Runs all the tests
2. Contains no duplication
3. Expresses all the important design intentions
4. Minimizes entities (e.g. classes and methods).

Hence the Extreme Programming slogan
"You Ain't Gonna Need It."

Now we come to the divergence between the specification
(which calls for #roll: and #score methods)
and the tests (which call for a #scoreAfterRolling: method
and then in test 15 calls for #scoreRolling:after:).

There are two kind of test case for this exercise.
+ check that the result is correct in a good case
- check that the right error is raised given bad data.
Now the second kind go far beyond the informal
specification and require not only that certain errors
be detected but *when* they are detected.

And this is something you have to bear in mind when
writing down your test cases:  you have to prevent ideas
you may have about *how* the code might work creeping into
your test cases and forcing the code to work that way.
Most of my code, and most of the trouble I had writing the
code, was about these "does it report the right error at
the right time and oh yeah I made up these 'right' definitions
with no warrant in the customer's requirements" test cases.

I mean, seriously, NO methods in common between the specifications
and tests?

Returning to Kent Beck's maxims.  How many classes do we need?
The test code calls for ONE class, "Bowling".
There are no tests for any Frame pr Roll classes,
and no need for any.
How many methods does it need?
The test code checks #scoreAfterRolling and #scoreRolling:after:
There are not tests for any others.
What state should the instances of the class hold?
There is hint
  You will need to store some game state.
but that applies to the #roll:/#score interface,
NOT to the interface that's actually tested.

Use as many classes and methods as you NEED,
but remember that you need a lot fewer than you think,