Why do the parameters for the sequencer have to be
*process* variables?  Why can't they be instance
variables of an object?

SequenceControl (mutex v1 v2 ...)
  initialize
    mutex := Mutex new.
    v1 := default for v1.
    v2 := default for v2.
  v1
    ^v1
  v1: x
   validate x all by itself
   mutex critical: [
     validate x in context of other variables
     v1 := x].

This takes care of all the memory fiddling necessary.
Once again, the existence of this object would be a shared
secret between the process and the creating process.