Isn’t this the wrong question to ask? I’m assuming this is to do with
Smalltalk’s 50th anniversary, and of course we are grateful to those early
pioneers who did lots of work in the field 20-30 years ago but to me that’s the
old history and while it’s interesting to call out, it doesn’t shed life on the
day to day energy we have today - whst keeps Smalltalk alive and current.

I’d like to nominate the Pharo community - being brave enough to fork when it
was felt that doing something different was interesting enough to take the
flack for it. But more than this, so many people have continued to contribute -
teach, fix, pioneer etc. Particularly when there are so many other languages
and movements you can follow - continuing the vision of a simple, malleable
system that everyone can understand and fix is commendable.

If you really want a name - I’d say Stephan Ducasse and Marcus Denker - I heard
them stand up at Esug 2007 (Lugano) and really call out a vision for a
malleable environment that was Smalltalk inspired but would let them properly
experiment with new language ideas (I recall in particular the reference to
reified inst var slots to let them manipulate programs more easily when
experimenting). This was possibly the foreshadow to Pharo, and it took about 10
years of incremental improvements to achieve that exciting 2007 vision that I
recall painted at the time. It certainly didn’t happen in a day , and it’s
still happening now as we read this, and the job is still not done.

But in a way I’m kind of reluctant to name, names as so many people have piled
in around that community vision to make something that will continue to live
and experiment. But to Stephan/Marcus and everyone else - hats off to you for
creating something that is fun and productive to use, but more importantly is
inspiring enough to contribute to.

Tim