With very few exceptions, no important programming language ever “dies.” Even
APL and Forth are still in use today, if only in a small way (including their
derivatives like J and Factor).

But from the perspective of the programming community at large, if a
programming language no longer has a large user base, it’s effectively dead.
This may not be fair but there you have it.

We may argue that it doesn’t matter. If Smalltalk serves a small community
well, that’s the important thing.

I take a broader perspective. We live in a technological world where software
development productivity is a serious bottleneck. Smalltalk has the potential
to greatly alleviate this bottleneck. Cutting development time in half (or
better) matters a lot. This, I believe, is what we must fight for.

We may fail. Indeed, we *probably* *will fail*. But if we don’t try, we
definitely will fail.

Cheers,\
Richard