> On 7 Feb 2022, at 08:41, contac...@kathe.in wrote:
>
> Hello Marcus,
>
> Thanks for responding with thorough details, but I'm not such a good OO
> programmer, so what I need to know is;
> Will we be able to continue developing with Pharo using the same old
> Smalltalk-like syntax? Or, will there be major changes some time in the
> future? Like how (I think) "_" from Squeak was replaced with ":=" in Pharo!

:= is I think even ANSI Standard, or not?

There are no plans for syntactical changes…

But of course: The *goal* of Pharo is not to be Smalltalk80.

I have to admit I kind of misunderstood Squeak back then…

I really thought the idea if was to take ST80 as a startingoint “to invent the
future”…
I still like that idea, I have to say… to me what fascinates me is how to take
something
that is as of a great idea as ST80 and improve it… for example  just consider
the resources (in terms
of memory or processing power or networking) we have today vs. 1978.

The “let’s through it all away and start from scratch” approach is not great,
either… as you need something to buld
upon. And: as soon as you finish that “better” system, you would have the same
problem: you would be stuck with
a “finished” system, while the world continues to evolve.

It is a real interesting research question: How an you build Systems that can
evolve over a long time ?

        Marcus