I created a method referring to a non-existent "Snark" class.
To my astonishment, "Code Search|References to it" quietly failed to
do anything visible.
It didn't find it, and it didn't say that it couldn't find it.
However, "Code Search|Method source with it" DID find the reference.
Pharo 9 and Pharo 11 both do this, although the on-screen interface is
different.

In Squeak, "References to it" worked fine, BUT when I created the
method I wasn't
offered the option of leaving "Snark" undeclared; the closest was
"Declare global".

Smalltalk/X offered me the option of "Continue" with an undeclared variable,
and then "References to it" worked perfectly.